Whether sustained in a motor vehicle accident or a serious fall, spinal cord injuries can result in lasting disabilities that affect not only the life of the victim but their family members and loved ones. It is no exaggeration to classify a spinal cord injury as a ‘catastrophic injury’ given the physical, emotional, and financial hardships that result.
Even with the promising developments in medical treatment and supportive resources available, victims of spinal cord injury may experience tremendous anxiety about their future. Fortunately, personal injury victims do not have to bear the financial burden of someone else’s reckless actions and wrongdoing.
Hobbs Law Group is dedicated to protecting the rights of the catastrophically injured with results-focused advocacy. Explore your options for legal recourse by speaking with a trusted spinal cord injury lawyer at Hobbs Law Group.
CLAREMONT BACK & SPINAL CORD INJURY LAWYER SERVING THE GREATER LOS ANGELES AREA
Proving negligence or breach of strict liability in these claims is a complex process, requiring the experience and knowledge of a Los Angeles personal injury lawyer who has a proven track record of success. You can put your trust in Hobbs Law Group for effective representation and compassionate guidance from the initial no-cost consultation until the final resolution of your case.
Our lawyers routinely go toe-to-toe with insurance claims adjusters and high-powered defense attorneys whose goal is to pay out as little as possible. We have the know-how and resources to fight for every dime of compensation to which our clients are rightfully entitled.
Conservative estimates indicate that the average lifetime cost of living with a spinal cord injury hovers around $1 million – and that doesn’t even include indirect damages like lost earning capacity.
When you partner with Hobbs Law Group, you are aligning yourself with a network of legal and medical experts who can evaluate the full extent of your injuries and document the short and long-term impacts on your life. Clients are working not only with a respected spinal cord injury lawyer in Los Angeles but an entire team of industry professionals, including life care planning experts, who can accurately project future needs and demand full compensation.
Types of Back Injuries Caused by Accidents
Back pain is the single most common cause of disability in the U.S. and around the world. Up to 80% of people will suffer from back injuries at some point during their lifetime, accounting for over 264 million lost work days each year. What’s more, many of the people who suffer from severe or chronic back pain sustained those injuries because of the negligence or recklessness of another person.
You shouldn’t have to pay for someone else’s mistakes. If your back pain was caused by a car crash, slip and fall incident, or other accident, it’s time to see a Los Angeles personal injury lawyer to discuss your legal rights and options.
Any type of accident can cause a back injury, but they are particularly common in motor vehicle accidents. The tremendous force of a car, motorcycle, or big rig crash can inflict serious damage on the back’s complex structure of ligaments, nerves, vertebrae, and intervertebral discs.
Back injuries can also be caused by slip and falls and defective products, such as chairs and exercise equipment that malfunction.
A back injury lawyer in Los Angeles can provide skilled representation if you have sustained any of the following common types of back injuries:
- Strains and sprains: Sprains and strains are soft tissue injuries. They affect the ligaments, muscles, or tendons. They occur when the soft tissues are stretched beyond their normal capacity, which can potentially cause tearing. In severe cases, a doctor might recommend a surgical repair.
- Whiplash: Whiplash actually affects the neck, rather than the back. However, it’s one of the most common types of car accident injuries, particularly among victims of rear-end collisions. Whiplash occurs when the soft tissues get hyper-extended and potentially torn.
- Herniated discs: The intervertebral discs are sponge-like structures that act as cushions for the spine. Each vertebra, or bone in the spine, is separated from the next bone by an intervertebral disc. These discs have tough exteriors and softer interiors. Disc herniation occurs when the exterior is compromised, and the softer inner material is allowed to protrude outward. This can cause severe pain, particularly if the material compresses a nearby nerve.
STATISTICS ON SPINAL CORD INJURIES
According to the National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center, close to 18,000 Americans suffer spinal cord injury (SCI) every year, with the average age of injury just 43 years old. Vehicle accidents are the leading cause of SCI, followed by falls, acts of violence, and sports activities.
Roughly 30 percent of people with spinal cord injuries are re-hospitalized several times a year due to increased risk of health complications. Some of the leading causes of hospitalization include:
- Genitourinary system diseases
- Neurogenic pain
- Respiratory difficulties
- Skin diseases
- Circulation problems
The physical and neurological consequences of a spinal cord injury depend on the location and severity of the trauma. In addition to various degrees of paralysis, victims may experience:
- Sexual dysfunction
- Respiratory difficulties
- Loss of bladder and bowel control
- Blood clots
- Cardiovascular issues
Recent data on reported spinal cord injuries indicate that:
- 2 percent result in incomplete tetraplegia (also known as quadriplegia)
- 3 percent result in total tetraplegia
- 6 percent result in incomplete paraplegia
- 2 percent result in complete paraplegia
DAMAGES AVAILABLE IN SPINAL CORD & BACK INJURY LAWSUITS
More severe spinal cord injuries can prevent victims from ever working again, and the exorbitant medical care costs can put almost any household on the brink of financial ruin. When a loved one was hurt because of another’s misconduct, it pays to have veteran legal counsel who can fight for the compensation and justice deserved.
When our Los Angeles personal injury lawyers take on a spinal cord injury case or back injury, we identify all liable parties and potential channels for monetary recovery. Plaintiffs may be able to secure compensation for damages including:
- Medical bills for surgeries, hospitalization, medication, and physical therapy
- Expenses for medical equipment such as walkers or wheelchairs
- In-home modifications to accommodate the disabled
- Loss of wages
- Loss of future earnings
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional anguish, including depression, anxiety, and stress
- Permanent disability
- Loss of consortium
CONSULT WITH A LOS ANGELES BACK & SPINAL CORD INJURY LAWYER
Whether a spinal cord injury caused paralysis or a severe back injury, victims should never have to bear the burden of another’s mistakes. At Hobbs Law Group, our attorneys are well-versed in the tactics used by insurance companies to minimize liability, and are positioned to help clients rebuild their lives and achieve fair reparations for their pain and suffering.
We invite you to schedule a free consultation with a Los Angeles personal injury attorney who is committed to securing a better future for their clients. We take all spinal cord injury cases on a contingency basis, meaning we only get paid if your case is successful.